From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XFCE setting sound input from USB, playback from motherboard chip.
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 04:14:58
1 On 12/22/2014 09:56 AM, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 12/22/14 07:50, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >> Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [14-12-22 07:16]:
4 >>> On 12/22/14 06:21, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 >>> >Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [14-12-22 06:18]:
6 >>> >>How to configure alsamixer and or XFCE4 to get playback from my
7 >>> >>motherboard card and input sound from USB?
8 >>> >>
9 >>> >>I'm trying to configure skype for input sound from USB cam abut
10 >>> >>playback from my sound card on motherboard.
11 >>> >>At the moment the only option I have is "pulse audio".
12
13 Well sure, Skype as of v4.3 requires pulseaudio.
16 > From lspci, it shows me I have audio:
17 > Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 High Definition Audio Controller
18 > (rev a1)
19 >
20 > In kernel I have set:
21 >
22 > CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT=y
23 > CONFIG_MEDIA_CAMERA_SUPPORT=y
24 > CONFIG_MEDIA_USB_SUPPORT=y
25 > CONFIG_MEDIA_PCI_SUPPORT=y
26 > CONFIG_MEDIA_SUBDRV_AUTOSELECT=y
27 > CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=y
32 That's for your onboard sound, what about kernel drivers for the USB device?
33
34 Also, forcing it to use ALSA will definitely not work with Skype as it
35 requires pulseaudio, as you've found out. You have to set up pulseaudio
36 to do all your audio processing or nothing will work.
37
38 I don't use Skype, but google even shows an entry on the gentoo wiki
39 detailing all these issues:
40
41 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Skype
42
43 It even was a workaround for non-pulseaudio users.
44
45 Google tells me Skype problems are pretty common, there are problems and
46 solutions on the web already.
47
48 Dan