From: German <gentgerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to attempt EFI install, which modules to compile?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 03:54:13
1 On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:33:34 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > German wrote:
5 > > Hi people. I am about to try today an EFI gentoo install with sysrecuecd. It is all more or less clear to me in the install docs, however I am not sure how to gather info about my hardware, which modules should be compiled when installing kernel manually. Is there a way to gather this info? What command should be issued to accomplish that? Also, I am sort of reluctant to compile kernel manually. Is this possible to use genkernel to install system in EFI mode or I must to use manual compilation? Thank you for your advice and suggestions.
8 > I have no experience with EFI, yet. I think this will help with one
9 > part of your post tho. You can use lsmod while booted with sysrescue
10 > and get a list of what modules are being used. I've done that before.
11 > It helps.
12 >
13 > Another command that can help and may be better. lspci -k. That should
14 > look like this snippet:
15 >
16 > 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 HDMI Audio Controller
17 > (rev a1)
18 > Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 069a
19 > Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
20 > 02:00.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 3483 (rev 01)
21 > Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 5007
22 > Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
23 > 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
24 > RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
25 > Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Motherboard
26 > Kernel driver in use: r8169
27 > 04:06.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
28 > MBit (rev 31)
29 > Subsystem: ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp Device 0008
30 > Kernel driver in use: dmfe
31 >
32 > What you are really looking for is the "Kernel driver in use:" part. If
33 > you are making your own kernel, you use that info to find the module to
34 > enable, either built in or as a module. I sometimes cheat and use this
35 > command:
36 >
37 > lspci -k | grep Kernel
38 >
39 > Make sure that K is upper case OR add the -i option to grep. That
40 > command only lists the part I am really interested in and the driver
41 > name sometimes tells what it is for anyway. Plus, it's generally best
42 > to enable the hardware you got.
43 >
44 > Maybe someone else can come along and shine some light on the rest.
45 >
46 > Dale
47 >
52 Thanks Dale, this was helpful