From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vm still grinding away at compiling webkitgtk-2.14.2
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:45:18
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On November 20, 2016 6:21:40 AM GMT+01:00, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>On 20/11/2016 02:59, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>> An emerge of webkitgtk-2.14.2 has been running for over 2hrs. I
6 >>> wonder if I am starving my vbox vm of gentoo with 3GB or ram.
7 >>>
8 >>> Top's cpu usage is fluxuating between 45% and 99% during this compile
9 >>>
10 >>> Portage pulling 99% by itself at times.
11 >>>
12 >>> I thought 3GB was a bit high for a vm compared to what I've given
13 >>debian
14 >>> vms... can anyone give some guidance about how much ram to allow a
15 >>> gentoo vm in Vbox?
16 >>>
17 >>> I'm on a windows 10 host with 32 GB ram but running a number of vms.
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >>Depends on what you are compiling. webkitgtk is a brute, so is
22 >>thunderbird, libreoffice and other usual culprits. Those sorts of build
23 >>systems need as much ram as you can spare whereas the rest of the time
24 >>vm itself needs as much as it needs to do whatever it is you want it to
25 >>do.
26 >>
27 >>What hypervisor are you using, and can you use memory ballooning?
28 >
29 > MS Windows desktop OSes are not the best platforms to run multiple VMs on.
30
31 I'm just experimenting with several OS's ... The Vbox vms I run for
32 actual work are hosted on Solaris x86 (openindiana)
33
34 > Also, overcommitting CPUs has a bad influence on performance,
35 > especially if the host wants to use all cores as well.
36
37 That is what I asked advice about. What do you call
38 `overcommitting'. For example with only 1 Vbox vm started and no
39 serious work being done by the windwos-10 os. On an HP xw8600 with
40 older 2x Xeon 5.60 3.00Ghz with 32 GB ram