From: Willie <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unexpected Power Loss!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 03:00:50
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com
2 > wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 04:42:45PM -0800, Willie wrote:
5 > > Hey Everyone,
6 > >
7 > > I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. It seems that
8 > > whenever I am in Linux my computer will just turn off. Not shutdown like
9 > I
10 > > did "shutdown -r now". Just completely off out of the blue at random
11 > times.
12 > > I have been reading the logs but there is nothing helpful at all. It is
13 > > never the same thing on the logs when it does just shutdown. Sometime I
14 > can
15 > > boot up and it will go off when it says "Waiting for udev events to
16 > finish"
17 > > or something like that.
18 > >
19 > > I haven't done any major upgrades in awhile, there is really nothing
20 > > different. I installed Windows last night to see if it is a hardware
21 > thing
22 > > but nope it stays on. I also tried reinstalling Gentoo on a couple of
23 > > occasions on another Hard Drive but it just shutdown while I was getting
24 > it
25 > > done.
26 > >
27 > > Any help is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be in Windows
28 > after
29 > > I spent all that time customizing my XFCE4 desktop.
30 >
31 > Can you put app-admin/mcelog in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords and
32 > emerge it? It's maintainer wanted right now, so the only way to get the
33 > updated software is ~arch. This will give you /var/log/mcelog ... atm I'm
34 > on
35 > meds and can't remember the specifics to set it up ... "man mcelog" will
36 > help.
37 >
38 > You can "dmesg | grep -i mce" now and see if there are any MCE errors.
39 > --
40 > Happy Penguin Gymnastics >')
41 > 126 Fenco Drive ( \
42 > Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
44 > 662-321-7009
45 > http://happypenguingymnastics.com/
46 > FB: http://tiny.cc/HappyPenguinGymnastics
47 >
48 > Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting
51 Tried to emerge the application a couple of time. Can't get the computer to
52 stay on long enough to build and install it.
56 Willie Matthews
57 matthews.willie@×××××.com