From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about genkernel's default kernel config
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 12:50:00
1 On 14/08/2016 13:45, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Hey, just curious about something:
3 >
4 > How is genkernel's "default" kernel config maintained? Is it fixed, or
5 > is it maintained as a diff against upstream, or what?
6
7 it's mysterious magic
10 > I'm curious because I'm considering if I should just go straight to the
11 > kernel's own built in defaults.
12
13 do this. build code for the hardware you have, not for hardware you
14 don't have
17 > I know a lot of it sets up most things as modules instead of
18 > builtin/disabled.
19
20 genkernel builds a kernel like for a binary distro or a LiveCD - works
21 everywhere (by enabling everything). You can customized it with a config
22 somehwow (I forget the details). But this is gentoo:
23
24 cd /usr/src/<kernel-ver>
25 make menuconfig
29 Alan McKinnon