From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limiting portage sync
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 04:06:17
1 On Dienstag, 20. Mai 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > I was just wondering, while watching an emerge --sync, is it possible
3 > (or advisable) to limit what portage syncs? For example, I have a server
4 > here that doesn't use X, kde, gnome, java, and a number of other fairly
5 > large areas of portage. It would be nice if I could speed up syncing by
6 > excluding these categories from the process.
7
8 yes it is possible (or was in the past). And if you know what you do it is
9 pretty safe.
12 > I can understand that some people may provide reasons why this is a bad
13 > idea, and I'm interested in hearing opinions or suggestions.
14
15 The problem is, most people don't know what they do. You might easily remove a
16 category you THINK you don't need ...
17 --
18 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list