From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error compiling 2.6.9
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:23:50
1 v.demartino2@××××××××.it wrote:
2
3 >Issuing a "make" command to build a 2.6.9 (-r9) kernel I got the following
4 >error:
5 >...............................
6 > AS arch/i386/lib/getuser.o
7 > CC arch/i386/lib/memcpy.o
8 > CC arch/i386/lib/strstr.o
9 > CC arch/i386/lib/usercopy.o
10 > AR arch/i386/lib/lib.a
11 > GEN .version
12 > CHK include/linux/compile.h
13 > UPD include/linux/compile.h
14 > CC init/version.o
15 > LD init/built-in.o
16 > LD .tmp_vmlinux1
17 >make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 139
18 >
19 >What does it mean? What shall I do to fix it?
20 >
21 >Ciao
22 >Vittorio
25 >--
26 >gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
31 quoting http://www.unixguide.net/linux/faq/09.06.shtml
34 Make Says, "Error 139."
35
36 Your compiler (GCC) dumped core. You probably have a corrupted, buggy,
37 or old version of GCC--get the latest release or EGCS. Alternatively,
38 you may be running out of swap space. Refer to: ("The Machine Runs
39 Very Slowly with GCC / X / ...")
40
41 If this doesn't fix the problem, you are probably having problems with
42 memory or disk corruption. Check that the clock rate, wait states, and
43 refresh timing for your SIMMS and cache are correct (hardware manuals
44 are sometimes wrong, too). If so, you may have some marginal SIMMS, or
45 a faulty motherboard or hard disk or controller.
46
47 Linux is a very good memory tester--much better than MS-DOS based
48 memory test programs.
49
50 Reportedly, some clone x87 math coprocessors can cause problems. Try
51 compiling a kernel with math emulation ("How To Upgrade/Recompile a
52 Kernel.") no387 kernel command line flag on the LILO prompt to force
53 the kernel to use math emulation, or it may be able to work and still
54 use the '387, with the math emulation compiled in but mainly unused.
55
56 More information about this problem is available on the Web at
57 http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list