From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:02:58
1 Am 27.12.2012 01:18, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > I am *very* impressed with ZFS for this. Yes, I know, it's not really
4 > there on Linux - I use it on FreeBSD (FreeNAS).
5 >
6 > It has everything I've wanted in a filesystem for a long time, and all
7 > the crap I've stuffed into my head over many years related to storage
8 > just goes away. It doesn't go to some place I don't have to deal with
9 > it, it just ceases to exist. Very nice.
10 >
11 > There is no more weird partitions from the days of DOS, no PV/VG/LV to
12 > remember the details of. There is only storage and ZFS knows what I
13 > want to happen with each "chunk" of it. A "chunk" (my term) in this
14 > context is a directory and everything below it.
15 >
16 > ZFS doesn't have partitions and filesystems. It has volumes. A volume
17 > is sort of a cross between a filesystem (you mount it and can assign
18 > quotas to it) and a directory (you assign permissions and ownerships to
19 > it). You can overcommit storage space and quotas - you do not get "disk
20 > full" errors and three days of nightmares while you figure out how to
21 > deal with this. the FS just tells you it used more than the allocated
22 > space and keeps telling you till you get it under the limit.
23 >
24 > mv'ing a few TB of video to a different FS to free up space is not fun
25 > at all, but with ZFS it's like an mv on the same FS (that volume thing
26 > again). It checksums every write and lets you know if things fail. It
27 > has proper snapshots built in - that's proper as in copy-on-write so
28 > they don't really take up space until you start modifying files. Your
29 > media collection is like mine - I only add to it and seldom delete, so
30 > I have months of snapshots that consume about 1% extras space. Dale's
31 > rm problem cannot happen to me anymore hehehehe ;-)
32 >
33 > In summary, it does everything I want and does it well. It can also do
34 > other things I don't want but others might (eg de-dupe).
35
36 I also used ZFS for that kind of storage and it was very pleasant to
37 work with. Performance is an issue if you use zfs-fuse for example,
38 although there are people running zfs-on-linux on LUKS for their main
39 working machine (using an SSD, that helps!):
40
41 https://mthode.org/
42
43 describes such a setup (although slightly off-topic in context of media
44 libraries).
45
46 I had the pleasure to write a feature about that and provide a demo-vm:
47
48 http://www.oops.co.at/en/publications/beitrag-fuer-linux-magazin-012013-zfs-und-luks
49
50 (german feature, sorry ...)
51
52 -
53
54 Using snapshots with ZFS really is fun and let's you rethink stuff. It
55 makes doing backups easier and you can send and receive them via pipes
56 (think ssh here).
57
58 ZFS thinks of storage in the way we think of RAM: plug in some more and
59 everything (as in "every filesystem") is able to use it, just a pool of
60 ressources (actually it uses that term all over, "a zfs pool called tank").
61
62 I'd love to use it as root-fs sometimes, but I still hesitate. Might be
63 better to stay with the filesystems most linux-users use, just to
64 benefit of the huge tester-group :-)
65
66 For media-storage I wouldn't hesitate to run zfs-on-linux on a mirror of
67 2 disks or so. With that you benefit of the so-called self-healing:
68
69 If the checksum for block X on disk sda isn't correct, very likely the
70 checksum for block X on disk sdb is still valid. ZFS sees that, creates
71 a new block X on sda, with the correct content&checksum and drops the
72 corrupted block (and doesn't reuse it, AFAIK).
73
74 That is a great feature ... maybe not too important for video where the
75 occasional bit error isn't that much of a problem. But good to have for
76 other stuff ...
77
78 Greets, Stefan