From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compression tools Compared
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:57:54
1 On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:53:05 -0400, Matt Randolph wrote:
2
3 > In an effort to put this matter to rest (and to save a little face), I
4 > have tested 7-zip.
5
6 Or you could have read the README that covers this in some details. It
7 not only says that you should use tar to preserve ownership and
8 permissions but also gives the commands needed :)
9
10 I tried p7zip last night, on a 2GB VMWare disk image, and the compressed
11 file was 10% smaller than rzip gave, which was the best compressor I'd
12 found to date.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 ... but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because
19 some watery tart threw a sword at you!