From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Best video player
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:59:19
1 mplayer without any front ends.
2
3 mplayer <filename>
4
5 the man page is very long but informative. mplayer also somes with the
6 companion mencoder which has a good reputation in the transcoding
7 stakes.
8
9 xine and vlc also work well, and I have nothing against them except my
10 familiarity with mplayer. I use vlc a lot on windows because it is not
11 MS media player, and doesn't want to take over my machine.
12
13 xine does do slightly better than mplayer with dvd because you get the
14 full menu experience.
15
16 everything else seems to be a front end to xine or mplayer or gstreamer,
17 but as I can't get gstreamer to do anything on my system, and as the
18 tools I have play all media i can throw at them anyway, I can't comment
19 on the gstreamer stuff very well.
22 On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:48:46 +0100