From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 22:10:15
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:51 on Sunday 09 January 2011, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > It's trying to be an OS that's a bootloader as it's primary function.
6 > >
7 > > Think back to the days of lilo. It obviously isn't an OS and doesn't
8 > > understand OS concepts - it loads an OS. When that step is done, then and
9 > > only then do OS concepts come into play. lilo doesn't even understand
10 > > how to find a file on a disk, that's why the lilo command had to be run
11 > > to tell the bootloader which sectors on disk it had to shove into
12 > > memory.
13 > >
14 > > This confused people. It annoyed even more people who often forgot to run
15 > > lilo before rebooting. So grub came along, it had the absolute minimum
16 > > of OS-like features to find and load a kernel file. It needed it's own
17 > > syntax of defining drive names, then would make it's way through the
18 > > read-only fs it found there to find the kernel. It supported a small
19 > > number of file systems, just enough so that a 50M partition would be
20 > > usable on almost any platform.
21 > >
22 > > grub2 now looks like GNU/grub (sarcasm intended). It's not a bootloader,
23 > > it's a puny OS with one extra feature - it can bootload!
24 > >
25 > > It has support for jpeg, every fs under the sun, and the grub2 ebuild
26 > > even has a truetype USE flag.
27 > >
28 > > Yes! Now my life is complete. I've been DYING for years to have a
29 > > bootloader that can properly display anti-aliased fonts for the entire 2
30 > > seconds it's on- screen
31 >
32 > Well, I have to say that for the moment, the old grub is working fine
33 > here. Just like ntp, that may change next week. I just wonder how much
34 > longer it will take before they get it stabilized and expect everyone to
35 > switch to it? From my understanding, they are not doing much with the
36 > old grub now so it should be to far off.
37 >
38 > I don't like to think about the old lilo days. Bad memories. Reminds
39 > me of xorg and hal. o_O
42 At least you didn't have to deal with booting linux off a floppy
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com