From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: htop wants cgroups
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 11:11:31
1 On Wed, 3 May 2017 15:11:33 -0700 Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > cgroups are not being pushed in this case. Portage threw up a warning,
3 > letting you know that some features of htop may not be available without
4 > the CONFIG_CGROUPS flag on in the kernel. htop should work to your
5 > liking as it is right now. Go try it out!
6 >
7 > I'm having a little trouble understanding why this particular package
8 > has you worried when there are dozens of others that spit out similar
9 > "heads up" warnings, like qemu, anything relating to graphics and
10 > virtualization... they're helpful messages that let you know that, if
11 > something doesn't work as you expect, it's probably due to something you
12 > have disabled. That's it.
13 >
14 > Perfect example: I use an AMD processor, but still get 'warning'
15 > messages about checking CONFIG_KVM_INTEL and other variables. qemu still
16 > works, because my kernel is built to virtualize with my CPU. Someone
17 > with an Intel CPU might really want that warning message, though.
18
19 The problem is that this warning is too severe: it suggests that
20 package may not work properly without feature:
21 "may cause unexpected problems"
22 instead of saying "some additional features will be disabled"
23
24 Hey, this is _very_ different to have some extra stuff off and
25 to have core stuff with "unexpected problems".
26
27 Best regards,
28 Andrew Savchenko