From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot System Setup
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 04:28:34
1 On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 22:06 -0500, Sean wrote:
2 > I have a laptop I want to setup to boot either Gentoo or Windows.
3 [snip]
4 > Would anyone recommend which is the best method for setup, start with
5 > Gentoo or Windows?
6
7 it doesn't matter, IMHO, so long as you know that windows will overwrite
8 your grub (or lilo) mbr, in favour of its own. From there you have two
9 choices:
10
11 1. use the windows to chain-boot linux (possible, but I don't know what
12 for :)
13 2. re-install grub with your live-cd (which you still have from you
14 recent gentoo install)
15
16 Hence you can see that it may be easier to install windows first, so you
17 don't have to do grub twice.
18
19 > I also want to setup a common partition for data storage which both can
20 > access. Again, can anyone recommend a setup?
21
22 I use an ntfs (for windows) partition, various ext2/3 partitions for
23 linux, and a fat32 partition to share between the two (video files,
24 music, etc)
25
26 HTH,
27 --
28 Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>
29
30 Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.
31 -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list