From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Any ideas on when net-misc/asterisk-1.2.7 will be unmasked?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:52:46
1 > On 5/2/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > > I'm a little confused because Asterisk 1.2.7 is the latest
3 > according to
4 > > their website, and 1.2.5 was the previous version. Yet the
5 > ebuilds go
6 > > steadily from 1.0.7 through 1.0.10 and then there's nothing
7 > till this hard
8 > > masked 1.2.7 version... :-\
9 > >
10 > > Is this package not being actively maintained anymore?
11 >
12 > Why would you think that? One of the very links you pointed us to
13 > show that the the ebuild was last updated on Apr 16th. That was
14 > barely two weeks ago, and mentions "work-in-progress wrapper
15 > initscript". That sounds like there is still some work to do on
16 > 'Gentoo-izing' the program.
17
18 I thought that because of the gap in versions. I figured there would have at
19 least been a 1.2.5 ebuild or a 1.2.x one. Gentoo is usually on the cutting
20 edge for most packages, especially something as "hot" as Asterisk is right
21 now... I was a little embarrassed recently, when a debian friend was showing
22 me his Asterisk setup with some custom Ruby code and offered to help set me
23 up. But we couldn't get it to work and realized this version was so far from
24 his and we were running into SIP bugs or something...
25
26 > Plus, you can click on the developer's link , and see that in fact,
27 > Stefan is still very active on committing patches for all versions of
28 > asterisk and related packages.
29
30 Over-looked that the cryptic "(stkn)" was a useful link. I didn't realize
31 those were his initials until just now and I'm not one to go clicking random
32 links.
33
34 > Please bear in mind that all the Gentoo devs are unpaid voluteers with
35 > real lives and obligations.
36
37 Oh. I'm not complaining. I guess I was asking moreso to decide if I should
38 just grab the source from Asterisks site or if I should wait a bit till the
39 ebuild is available, at least as ~x86.
40
41 Thanks as always for your guidance Richard.
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list