From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udevstart Segmentation fault - Urgent
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 04:45:40
1 On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 13:47 +1000, Dave Oxley wrote:
2 > I have just run 'emerge --update --deep --newuse world' on 2 of my
3 > Gentoo machines as I do every few days. This upgraded my udev from
4 > 068-r1 to 070. Neither machine will now boot. I've been investigating
5 > why on my server as it is most important that I get this machine up and
6 > running ASAP.
7 > During boot I get the following error:
8 > /sbin/rc: line 93: 1062 Segmentation fault /sbin/udevstart
9 > Then when it gets to checking root filesystem it reports /dev/sda3 is
10 > missing and drops me to a filesystem repair console.
11 >
12 > Please can someone help. I urgently need to get this machine back up and
13 > running.
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16 > Dave.
17 Hi,
18 Don't think it's a problem with udev-0.70, running it for a day or two.
19 Maybe a hardware failure or try previous version (0.68), hope you have a
20 binary package of it if you can't emerge it again. Useful sometimes.
21 Boot with a LiveCD (gentoo) and re-emerge udev-0.68-rX or just install a
22 binary package of it. If emerge/portage isn't working unpack it at /
23 (root) dir, ignore warning about extra data at the end of archive.
24 HTH.Rumen