From: Jack Byer <ftn768@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Full disk encryption
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 02:49:10
1 David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > I have a working initramfs layout, but currently it is too large
4 > (>32MiB) for my /boot partition. The problem package is e2fsprogs, as
5 > it requires dynamic linkage and, consequently, a full-sized glibc.
6 > This sucks, so I need to patch the Makefile(s) to build a more sensible
7 > set of executables for an initramfs.
8 >
9 > All of the code I have written myself compiles and links statically,
10 > typically using klibc, so my finished code is tiny.
11 >
12 > I haven't been working on this for a couple of months now, because the
13 > need for it is not really pressing. The assertion that udev would
14 > require /usr and /var (plus the kitchen sink) really soon is unfounded,
15 > at least for those of us who run more elderly hardware.
16 >
17 > Anyhow, when I'm finished there will be a zsh script that will build an
18 > initramfs image, and even install it to /boot, with a single command.
19
20 When I made my own initramfs I was operating under the "RAM and disk space
21 are cheap" assumption and did it the easiest way possible:
22
23 I included the *entirety* of /etc, /bin, /lib{32,64} and /sbin
24
25 Then I wrote a small bash script for /init
26
27 Throw the kernel and initramfs on a USB stick, install GRUB on said USB
28 stick and call it a day. If anything breaks, well I've got all the command
29 like repair tools included so it's no big deal to fix as long as the bash
30 script sends me to a command line if it has any problems.