From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] trouble running X clients as root
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:58:21
1 I am trying to run gdmsetup and getting "can't find display" type errors.
2
3 Here is what happened when I try to run it from an xterm:
4
5 robert@zebedee ~ $ sux
6 Password:
7 zebedee robert # gdmsetup
8
9 (gdmsetup:6618): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
10 Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
11 specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
12 Could not access GDM configuration file.
13 zebedee robert # exit
14 exit
15 robert@zebedee ~ $ sudo gdmsetup
16 Password:
17
18 (gdmsetup:6828): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
21 I then tried, as a test, to open a root xterm using sux and I got the
22 following error:
23
24 sux
25 Password:
26 zebedee robert # xterm
27 Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected,
28 reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and
29 host-based authentication failed
32 However the root xterm opened up anyway. It failed when I tried to sudo an
33 xterm:
34
35 sudo xterm
36 Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root
37 user.
38 The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
39 in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
40 program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
41 xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
42 xterm: DISPLAY is not set
45 However DISPLAY +is+ set. When I "echo $DISPLAY", "sudo echo $DISPLAY" or sux
46 and then "echo $DISPLAY" I get the same answer-- :0.0
47
48 This has got me quite confused. I used not to get these messages when I ran X
49 clients as root. Anyone know what is going on here?
50
51 Thanks in advance
52 Robert
53 --
54 Robert Persson
55
56 Conspiracy Bears:
57 Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list