From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: youtube-dl and mpv.conf file
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 13:33:56
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 13/04/2019 16:07, Dale wrote:
3 >> This is what I have right now.
4 >>
5 >> --format
6 >> bestvideo[ext=webm][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/bestvideo[ext=mp4][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/best
9 >> [...]
10 >>
11 >> That seems to have another option I
12 >> like to, get .mp4 if available.  I think.  It did anyway.  :/  Time will
13 >> tell.
14 >
15 > YouTube uses lower quality for mp4 (H.264). Downloading webm (VP9) is
16 > recommended. But not all videos are available in that format. Which is
17 > why the format options I posted contain both, with the meaning of "try
18 > webm first, but if not available, then try mp4."
19 >
20 > Note: this is not about file size. The VP9 webm version has higher
21 > quality than the *same size* H.264 mp4.
27 On your note, I've noticed that in the past when I use download helper
28 with Firefox.  Sometimes a smaller file or a file about the same size
29 will have a much better resolution.  One can't tell by file size what
30 the resolution is really.  That's why I use exiftool to get the info.  I
31 wish there was a GUI way to do that, like right click and it show up or
32 something easy.  So far, exiftool or playing the video in Smplayer is
33 the only way I know.
34
35 As long as I don't have to download a 1GB file to get a 10 minute video,
36 I can live with it.  What I hate is downloading the thing and it not
37 being what I needed to begin with.  ROFL  I have DSL but downloading a
38 1GB file takes a couple hours.  Yea, I've done that before.  Waste of
39 time and bandwidth.
40
41 Thanks much.  I figured I was doing something wrong.  I think all the
42 info I got when searching just confused me more.
43
44 Dale
45