From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on compiz problems
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:04:20
1 On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > I am running a stable port of gentoo with gnome 2.31.1 and I want to run
4 > compiz.
5 >
6 > How do I run compiz proparly?! I am pretty sure, that I do something
7 > wrong. For any advise, I would thank you.
10 > Tamer
14 > When I open gnome-terminal (shell) and run "compiz-manager" I get the
15 > following output:
18 > tamer@office ~ $ compiz-manager
19 > Checking for Xgl: not present.
20 > xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback
21 > /var/log/Xorg.0.log
22 > Detected PCI ID for VGA: 04:00.0 0300: 10de:1244 (rev a1) (prog-if 00
23 > [VGA controller])
24 > Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
25 > Checking for non power of two support: present.
26 > Checking for Composite extension: present.
27 > NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
28 > Comparing resolution (1920x1080) to maximum 3D texture size (16384): Passed.
29 > Checking for nVidia: present.
30 > Checking for FBConfig: NVIDIA: could not open the device file
31 > /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
32 > present.
33 > Checking for Xgl: not present.
34 > Starting emerald
35 > NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
40 I think you need to be present in the video group.
41 Clearly the problem is because access is denied to your video card.
42 Just ls -l /dev/nvidiactl (you should see group video there) and add
43 yourself to the group.
44
45 gpasswd -a <your username> video
46
47 If the group is something else as the ls -l reveals, add yourself to
48 that group (unless it's root or wheel). If the group is root or wheel,
49 you need to modify udev/mdev rules which I'm not aware of much.
52 Nilesh Govindarajan
53 http://nileshgr.com