From: Robin <diilbert.atlantis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A confession
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:42:47
1 That's what you get for trying to abandon Gentoo... LoL.
2
3 Robin
4
5 On 12/20/05, Martin S <shieldfire@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > I must confess. I've been unfaithful.
7 > For a day.
8 >
9 > After thoroughly trashing my system (~x86) for the second time by
10 > uncarefully upgrading my box I decided that I'd try something less brain
11 > taxing.
12 > So I reinstalled with Kubuntu.
13 >
14 > I'm reinstalling Gentoo now ...
15 > I prefer battling with my own errors rather than someone elses.
16 >
17 > I had to fiddle repeatedly with the installation routine just to get the
18 > thing installed. It constantly refused to install on my laptop
19 > unless I used extended debugging (on the fifth attempt). Then I just
20 > wondered who decided I needed all that rubbish in my KDE installation.
21 >
22 > All rubbish installed I tried opening a mpg from the net. "Totem can't
23 > handle mpg", trying Kaffeine I get "No codecs installed". Looking
24 > desperately for codecs in the install tools I came up empty. So I tried the
25 > installation docs for Kubuntu - which aren't updated for the latest release.
26 > So I went to the forums to look for the solution, but being acustomed to the
27 > Gentoo forums I found them a bit confusing.
28 > OK, I thought - I'll leave that for later, so I tried playing a DVD "can't
29 > find the CD-player" at the location that /etc/fstab says it is mounted.
30 >
31 > So I run an installer, it is setup with the configuration decided on by
32 > Kubuntu developers, and it doesn't work out of the box.
33 > Why bother?
34 >
35 > Back to Gentoo. And battling my own errors...
36 > I think I'll run the stable branch this time though.
39 > Regards,
40 >
41 > Martin S
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list