From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Webcamviewer (or such) ?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:28:46
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [16-04-25 18:16]:
2 > On 25/04/2016 17:43, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > For watching different wildlife webcams of the internet for a longer
6 > > period of time I am looking for something, which I tend to call
7 > > "webcam viewer"...(Warning! Not-native-english-speaker ahead! ;)
8 > >
9 > > Normally one opens up firefox (or any other browser), enter the
10 > > URL and get the interface of the webcam displayed...sometimer with
11 > > more than one port to watch. The resolution of these streams are
12 > > low most of the time...nonetheless I need a completey firefox and
13 > > its memory footprint is not that of a child.
14 > > Rendering a complex scene with blender in parallel let my PC with
15 > > 8GB start swapping from time to time.
16 > >
17 > > I am looking for something, which displays one port/one stream of
18 > > such an URL in a window sized according to the physical resolution
19 > > of the stream, so I can pin it in one corne of my display without
20 > > interfering with the rest and without killing my RAM.
21 > >
22 > > Or is this complete idea nonsense ? ;)
23 > >
24 > > What is the recommended application for such a task?
25 > >
26 > > Thank yo very much in advance for any help!
27 > >
28 > > Best regards,
29 > > Meino
34 > vlc and mplayer can usually be persuaded to play almost anything using
35 > every imaginable URI out there. Very adaptable softwares :-)
36 >
37 > Plus the added benefit of not having all that browser resource and
38 > screenspace overhead
41 > --
42 > Alan McKinnon
43 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
47 Hi Alan,
48
49 I feared that...I had a somehow screwed up idea of something and
50 due to that it looks like highly complex too me....and the solution
51 are programs I use to use nearly every day!
52 Thanks for the slight slap onto the back of my head ;) :))
53
54 Best regards,
55 Meino