From: rdkrsr <rdkrsr@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sound doesn't work on Asus-P5B-Deluxe
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:10:44
Hello,

I don't know if I'm right here, but I try.

I try now for a few days to get sound working. At boot I see a message
that alsa is loaded and I can hear a slight sound (as if I switch on
my speakers) at that moment. I also hear that sound if I change volume
in beep column of alsamixer. But no sound appears with command line
players or in kde (system sounds).

I did emerge -uvDNa system and world, configured kernel by hand,
edited modprobe (but I didn't really know what to do).

Maybe someone can help
Red

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Asus_P5B_Deluxe
spock ~ # uname -a
Linux spock 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 #5 SMP Wed Mar 18 20:39:24 CET 2009 i686 Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

spock ~ # lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)

spock linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r8 # cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xffaf8000 irq 22

spock ~ # cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa
# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1

# from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
# options snd-hda-intel model=basic
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig
#
# in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
#     AD1988/AD1988B/AD1989A/AD1989B
#         6stack        6-jack
#         6stack-dig    ditto with SPDIF
#         3stack        3-jack
#         3stack-dig    ditto with SPDIF
#         laptop        3-jack with hp-jack automute
#         laptop-dig    ditto with SPDIF
#         auto          auto-config reading BIOS (default)
#
spock ~ #

kernel_config application/octet-stream