From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] BIOS says 2GB, MemTest86 says 2GB, top says 900MB
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:09:52
1 One of my machines smoked last week so when tearing it apart for spare
2 parts I noticed the the PC2700 CL 2.5 memory is what my wife's machine
3 uses and she had only 512MB so I took the opportunity to throw in a
4 couple of DIMMs. When I boot Linux (and I'm writing this from Linux
5 running the new memory so the machine works) top reports only about
6 900MB while BIOS itself says 2GB. I fired up memtest86 and it reports
7 2GB. It's been running memory tests for a couple of hours now with no
8 problems so it seems like it should work.
9
10 Is there anything in the kernel config that would stop a 2.6.32-gentoo
11 kernel from seeing all the memory?
12
13 I have double checked that the memory does seem to be seated well in
14 the DIMM sockets.
15
16 The box is an old eMachines thing that has no support and so far I
17 can't find any BIOS updates.
18
19 How does memory get reported up to the kernel? Is that something in
20 the kernel (i.e. - choosing the proper chipset support or something)
21 or is it purely the return from some sort of BIOS call? If so can it
22 be tested or circumvented to get the machine to recognize everything
23 I've put in?
24
25 Thanks,
26 Mark