From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: swaps mounted randomly [not out of the woods yet]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 07:23:55
1 On Friday, 20 March 2020 01:27:27 GMT Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2020-03-20 00:30, Michael wrote:
3 > > Finally, I don't think you can use the hardware specific ID, found
4 > > under /dev/ disk/by-id/wwn-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-part1, which is a
5 > > symlink to the /dev/sda1 name.
6 >
7 > Why not? I think you can just use it directly, in place of the
8 > /dev/sdaX. After all, it's just an alternate (indirect) name for the
9 > same device inode.
10
11 Yes, perhaps it'll work, I've never tried it. Also I just checked the man
12 page and mount does not recommend it:
13
14 "The recommended setup is to use tags (e.g. UUID=uuid) rather than /dev/disk/
15 by-{label,uuid,partuuid,partlabel} udev symlinks in the /etc/fstab file."