From: Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nfs home directory vs kmail
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:56:24
1 On Monday 30 November 2009 10:56:17 am Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 30 November 2009 05:54:31 Mike Diehl wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I recently moved my local home directory to an nfs-mounted directory.
6 > > Now I'm having trouble with kmail. It seems that the permissions on
7 > > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/sent-mail/cur are being... changed...
8 > >
9 > > What I'm seeing is this:
10 > >
11 > > drwxrwxrwx 5 mdiehl users 4096 2009-11-28 03:41 .
12 > > drwx------ 8 mdiehl mdiehl 4096 2009-11-29 18:43 ..
13 > > d????????? ? ? ? ? ? cur
14 > > drwx------ 2 mdiehl users 4096 2009-09-02 19:32 new
15 > > drwx------ 2 mdiehl users 4096 2009-11-29 18:43 tmp
16 >
17 > That is indicative of filesystem corruption where the kernel cannot read
18 > the directory for whatever reason. The server should always be able to read
19 > the inode for cur/ and read the owner/permissions data
20
21 The server sees the file permissions just fine; this is what the CLIENT sees.
22
23 > What nfs options are in use, both client and server side?
24
25 I used this fstab entry on the client:
26 10.0.1.1:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0
27
28 > > Then, after a while, the permissions get changed to something more sane
29 > > without me having done anything.
30 >
31 > Permissions don't just magically change. Either a cron runs that changes
32 > things, or a circumstance changes to allow the client to see the directory
33
34 I don't have any cron jobs running. I'm not doing anything to change the
35 circumstances in such a way that the permissions should change. I litteraly
36 type kmail until it starts.
37
38 > > I've googled for this and not found anything. Strangely, kmail won't
39 > > start unless it can read my sent-mail folder.
40 >
41 > That's not strange at all, an MUA that can't use it's sent folder is pretty
42 > useless as an MUA
43
44 It would be nice to at least be able to READ my messages without sent-mail
45 permissions....
49 Take care and have fun,
50 Mike Diehl.