From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 23:02:51
1 Am 29.09.2013 19:58, schrieb Tanstaafl:
2 > On 2013-09-28 4:17 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:04:41 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> I suppose that what I am about to say isn't really relevant, but it is
6 >>>> unfortunate over the past year that people blamed udev specifically
7 >>>> for this. It is true that it does things that don't work if /usr isn't
8 >>>> mounted, but eudev does as well, since it is basically the same code.
9 >>>
10 >>> Who else is there to blame? We are continually being told that a
11 >>> separate /usr is "broken", as though this were some unfortunate act of
12 >>> <insert your deity here>, much like an earthquake. This gets
13 >>> patronising really quickly. (Please note, I'm NOT blaming you here. I
14 >>> appreciate that you're as much victim as Dale or me or anyone else
15 >>> round here.)
16 >>
17 >> It's evolution. Linux has for years been moving in this direction,
18 >> now it
19 >> has reached the point where the Gentoo devs can no longer devote the
20 >> increasing time needed to support what has now become an dge case.
21 >
22 > So the solution is to give users one MONTH to prepare? Why not 6
23 > months, or better, a year? What for gods sake is the rush???
24
25 one month to run genkernel is more than enough. And that this point was
26 approaching was clear - what, 2 years ago? At least?
29 > Where are the links/pointers to the INTERNAL discussions of this
30 > decision? I seriously want to know. If gentoo devs are not willing to
31 > provide a 'paper trail' for how this decision was arrived at, and let
32 > others judge their decisions based on the merits of their arguments,
33 > then what does that say about their true motivations/intentions?
34
35 marc.info --> gentoo-dev
38 > Again, I don't have a problem necessarily with what is being decided
39 > (no separate /usr without an initramfs), my problem is with the
40 > implementation - giving us one MONTH before we can expect possible
41 > breakage with each and every update.
42
43 No, you already can expect possible breakage with each and every update.
44 In 4 weeks they will stop listening to your complains.
47 > The other HUGE thing that worries me, and has me seriously considering
48 > switching to FreeBSD NOW, is, maybe there really is a secret,
49 > underlying ulterior motive to force both systemd AND an initramfs for
50 > everyone in ALL use cases. If that is the case, then say so now, and
51 > give those of us who do not want this advanced notice, and I'll just
52 > plan on setting my gentoo box to never update on Nov 1, and start
53 > working on learning FreeBSD and if necessary, pay someone to help me
54 > migrate services to it.
55
56 so do it. You will be a lot happier there. I am sure. With forcing llvm
57 etc....