From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is "the correct way" to keep a /dev entry through reboots?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:08:30
1 I recently bought a USR5637 USB dialup modem for my 2nd PC. I chose
2 it because it's small, and specifically claims to support linux.
3 Following instructions at http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x332.html I
4 * recompiled the kernel with CDC(ACM) USB modem support
5 * tried "mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0"
6 * woops, no /dev/usb/. So I did "mkdir /dev/usb" and then the mknod
7 * I rebooted, and discovered that /dev/usb was gone
8
9 For now I have the mkdir and mknod commands in /etc/conf.d/local/start
10 to recreate them at each bootup, but putting stuff in there is usually a
11 last resort. Is there a "more correct" way of doing it?
12
13 BTW, the modem works. I ssh'd from my main machine to the 2nd
14 computer and dialed into my dialup ISP, and launched a w3m text browser
15 session. The scarey part is that there is no modem noise to let me
16 know when I'm connected. But ifconfig indicated that I now had ppp0, in
17 addition to lo and eth0. Plus I went to whatismyip.org with w3m and got
18 an IP address that reversed DNS to my dialup provider.
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>