From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to keep my system from (nearly) freezing?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:41:39
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> [17-02-19 14:04]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when I
5 > start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a lot of
6 > open tabs.
7 >
8 > In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
9 > What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
10 >
11 > Can I have any additional program (like Chromium) die if there is not
12 > enough memory.
13 >
14 > Many thanks for a hint,
15 > Helmut
18 Hi Helmut,
19
20 I know that situation very well...additionally I have Blender
21 open...
22
23 But I think that the "freeze" of the system is not due to the memory
24 amount but due to the heavy I/O while swapping.
25
26 May be a tool like ionice could help you to keep the possibility
27 of killing certain processes. Ionice the emerge itself and additinally
28 nice it also.
29 The emerge may take longer, but a frozen system is even slower...
30 ;)
31
32 HTH!
33 Cheers