From: Evgeniy Bushkov <zhen@×××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NIC not detected after Kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:26:43
1 daid kahl пишет:
2 >
3 > > Also, you should avoid using oldconfig except for really minor
4 > kernel
5 > > upgrades. I know this is mentioned in documentation elsewhere, but
6 > > just a useful reminder.
7 > >
8 > > ~daid
9 >
10 > This has been discussed on this list before. Running make oldconfig
11 > works fine. I, and a lot of others, have said this many times. I
12 > configed one kernel about 5 years ago and have used oldconfig ever
13 > since. It is faster and less prone to problems than starting from
14 > scratch.
15 >
16 > If you are going from 2.4 to 2.6, then you should start fresh. I
17 > recently went from 2.6.23 to a 2.6.28 with no problem, other than
18 > trying
19 > to figure out that new group stuff.
20 >
21 > Dale
24 > Huh. I was going from 2.6.23 to 2.6.26 about 2 weeks ago and using
25 > oldconfig was giving me some major trouble as I recall. Not sure
26 > specifically now, but I know CONFIG_HPET_TIMER had to be turned off
27 > later during manual configuration, or my machine was hanging after
28 > some ACPI scripts. This behavior is replicated elsewhere for similar
29 > hardware, though the author claimed it was fixed after 2.6.25 which I
30 > found to clearly not be the case. I had also not manually configured
31 > my own kernel either, so I thought it's worth the experience.
32 >
33 > I could save my current configuration for 2.6.26 and try oldconfig
34 > again from 2.6.23.9 to make another 2.6.26 kernel and see what the
35 > problem was.
36 >
37 > ~daid
38 Hm, may be it's off-topic but I've seen such behavior on one of my
39 servers - some ACPI events were hanging server with last kernels. The
40 only thing I had to be done is to turn off ACPI in BIOS. Now service
41 local isn't working and CPU frequency is not scaling also. Is this
42 normal or can this parameter (CONFIG_HPET_TIMER) help me?
43
44 Best regards,
45 Evgeniy B.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature