From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrade/downgrade portage loop
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:52:45
1 On 2/3/06, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > > Hello, I have the following in package.keywords:
3 > > >
4 > > > xfce-base/libxfce4mcs
5 > > > xfce-base/libxfcegui4
6 > > > xfce-base/libxfce4util
7 > > >
8 > > > They need to be in there for xfmedia. Whenever I run 'emerge -avDuN
9 > > > world' portage wants to either upgrade or downgrade between the two
10 > > > most recent ~x86 versions of the packages. Does anyone know how to
11 > > > fix this?
12 > >
13 > > Use package.mask to mask out the more recent version.
16 > I have wpa_supplicant in package.keywords too. It has four ~x86
17 > packages that are more recent than the latest x86 package and it
18 > doesn't get caught in an upgrade/downgrade loop. Why is this
19 > happening with the xfce-base stuff?
22 It happens because of a long-time bug in portage that doesn't handle
23 some dependancy cases very well.
24
25 In this case:
26
27 pkg A depends on pkg C > version X
28 pkg B depends on pkg C < version Y
29 the current version of pkg C is >= Y, and X is < Y.
30
31 If for example X is 1.0, Y is 1.2, and the current version is 1.3,
32 then portage will oscillate between merging pkg C 1.0 and 1.3.
33
34 -Richard
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list