From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to dump kde gracefully in favor of lxde
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:06:54
1 On 170219-08:45+0000, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 18 Feb 2017 22:05:01 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 04:57:52PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote
4 > >
5 > > > Any advice about slick ways of getting fully updated but dumping kde
6 > > > on the way.
7 > >
8 > > *IMPORTANT* KDE is obscene about dependancies. E.g. when a
9 > > lightweight pdf-reader was phased out, I looked at various options
10 > > including okular. It's an "itty-bitty-little-applet"... that seems to
11 > > pull in 90% of KDE as dependancies. If you want to get rid of KDE, you
12 > > must be prepared to dump every last little KDE app/applet. It's an
13 > > all-or-nothing situation. Sorry.
14 > >
15 > > 1) "eselect profile list" and switch to a basic non-KDE profile of your
16 > > choice.
17 > >
18 > > 2) "emerge gentoolkit" if not already present.
19 > >
20 > > 3) "cat /var/lib/portage/world" and see what KDE stuff you have.
21 > >
22 > > 4) Unmerge (i.e. "emerge --unmerge) obvious KDE-related stuff that you
23 > > find in world.
24 > >
25 > > 5) "emerge --depclean" (May not help if you've done "emerge --sync" and
26 > > not fully updated).
27 > >
28 > > The next 3 steps are going to be repeated several times
29 > >
30 > > 6) "emerge -pv --changed-use --deep --update @world"
31 > >
32 > > 7) You'll probably see portage try to pull KDE back in. For each lib
33 > > "fu-bar/foobar" that portage tries to pull in do "equery d fu-bar/foobar"
34 > > and manually unmerge whatever it finds. (Note: gentoolkit provides the
35 > > equery tool).
36 > >
37 > > 8) GOTO 6 (until portage stops trying to pull in KDE stuff).
38 >
39 > As Walter indicates above, the problem is many every day desktop applications
40 > have either KDE or Gnome dependencies. Depending on your needs you may find
41 > it inevitable that one or the other desktop environment with its mega-suite of
42 > packages will be pulled in.
43 > --
44 > Regards,
45 > Mick
46
47 True! KDE is not so bad, but it and Gnome, they invent, they imposition
48 dependencies. Some four years ago now, I wasn't able to easily switch
49 from KDE to what I use now: plain openbox. I even start it with simply
50 "startx"...
51
52 I wish Harry can do it, but I'm only cautiously optimistic...
53
54 I don't know if I would be able to do it now if I had KDE installed,
55 lots of things have changed in 4 yrs... Lots of things have changed, but
56 I don't think the impositioning of dependencies by KDE has...
57
58 But the worse thing in both KDE and Gnome is the dbus, the opaque program
59 that is easily misused against the user. And figuring out about it, and
60 getting rid of it, that was also hard.
61
62 Getting sans-dbus is now in Gentoo much much easier, almost readily
63 available (there's even a dbus useflag since not long time ago).
64
65 I was wondering if maybe I was wrong:
66
67 Are there options for KDE/Gnome without dbus (or d-bus) now?
70 Miroslav Rovis
71 Zagreb, Croatia
72 https://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr