From: Roman Zilka <zilka@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 19:23:54
1 Grant (Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:14:38 -0700):
2 > After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
3 > stick with Gentoo routers. This increases the number of Gentoo
4 > systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits. What
5 > can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
6 > I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
7 > sure that's practical. I need to put together a bunch of new
8 > workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
9 > with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.
10
11 I used to do it the rsync way. Dozens of machines with varying
12 hardware, although not profoundly. All machines had all the software any
13 single machine could need. CFLAGS, kernel config and such were filled
14 with the greatest common divisor of all the boxes. There was one
15 'reference box' which did all the compiling and from which all the
16 other machines would rsync /, minus selected variables, such
17 as /dev, /etc/mtab, /mnt, /proc, /var/log, etc.
18
19 Another set of things excluded from rsync were things that do not
20 handle themselves locally, but are different accross computers. I had
21 groups of computers that I wanted to, for example, run different set of
22 boot-up services. That means that /etc/runlevels was excluded from
23 rsync'ing, but what was being rsynced were the dirs
24 /etc/runlevels-group{1,2,3,...} and every machine had a local
25 symlink /etc/runlevels -> one of the runlevels-groupX. Administrative
26 tasks are still limited to working with the single reference box and
27 its single filesystem (plus a few more runlevels-group's and similar
28 exceptions).
29
30 That way you can have specialized runlevel layouts, specialized fstabs
31 and other configs, etc. Even specialized kernels for every group of
32 machines, in theory.
33
34 There was also a script being distributed that was called by local crons
35 and allowed for batch rebooting at midnight, or whatever you may need
36 to run locally.
37
38 You may want to check out lsyncd for keeping dirs in sync in a smart
39 way on-the-fly, but rsyncing from a cronjob at a safe moment may be the
40 recommended option, depending on your environment. By 'safe' I mean
41 when there are no users logged in, for example.
42
43 The most tricky part was fine-tuning the set of stuff to exclude
44 from rsyncing. But if sure can be done in reasonable environments.
45
46 HTH,
47 -rz