From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Rules
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:39:37
1 b.n. <brullonulla <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > I offered to take over the maintenance of the package and web installation
5 > > page, and was turned down (probable by some punk under the age of 20)....
6
7 > Sad. Can you link the thread?
10 I think that would be counter productive. It's the 'culture of gentoo' that
11 encourages this condescending attitude from the (document and other) devs.
12 Lots of folks with skills would help, if the process of helping becomes
13 lightweight or unencumbered.
14
15 This sort of help could be outside of portage so anyone using such packages
16 would be warned ahead of time that these packages are not officially sanctioned
17 by the 'gentoo devs'.
18
19 Maybe just a simple way to aggregate overlays and a place where others are
20 encouraged to develop, use and maintain ebuilds and docs. Then the ordained
21 among the gentoo devs could merely mine the repository for new additions to
22 what they care to sanction.
23
24 Right now, things are very discriminatory, discouraging others from
25 participation and after awhile, folks leave or ignore the greater gentoo
26 community. It's not the first time that there have been acrimony in the
27 ranks of the gentoo devs......
30 imho,
31 James
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list