From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to configure an email server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 00:31:04
1 On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 05:44:45PM -0400, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > But I have no idea where to start. Frankly, so many possibilities and
3 > incredibly complex setups have deterred me somewhat from embarking on
4 > this venture. However, I would very much like to have my very own email
5 > server under my own domain name.
6 >
7 > So what I'm asking you guys for is documentation, software packages,
8 > recommended setups, anything you can add. I am not looking for an all
9 > in one HOWTO (and don't really expect to find one with such a
10 > complicated process) and I am willing to RTFM when necessary.
11
12 The question is more what sort of setup do you want? Are you setting up
13 just for one domain, for more than one, doing hosting, etc etc? A
14 default postfix install with the /etc/postfix/main.cf edited to make
15 sure that the domain is correct will give you what you want for an email
16 system, but won't really do it if you're doing multiple domains, or want
17 a database backend, etc. A bit more info would help. There's all
18 sorts of info out there, you just need to know what you're looking for
19 first :)
22 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
24 "Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers." -- Unknown