From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] pvcreate on LUKS container -> 'Device not found'
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:41:57
1 Hi folks
2
3 I’m trying to follow an article¹ on setting up a fully encrypted system for
4 my soon-to-arrive laptop. It and others (e.g. ² in a very condensed form)
5 simply luksFormat a block device, then luksOpen it and run pvcreate on that.
6
7 I’ve never used LVM before, it’s only installed as a dependency for various
8 FS tools. Hence, my LVM install is basically pure vanilla. But when I try to
9 follow those articles, I get:
10
11 kern $ cryptsetup status /dev/mapper/tp
12 /dev/mapper/tp is active.
13 [...]
14
15 kern $ pvcreate /dev/mapper/tp
16 /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
17 WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.
18 Device /dev/mapper/tp not found (or ignored by filtering).
19
20 The filter rule in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf simply says the default:
21 filter = [ "r|/dev/nbd.*|", "a/.*/" ]
22 Meaning ‘include everything except /dev/nbd*’.
23
24 Can you give me a hint what I might be missing? Perhaps I need to set some
25 other of the many options in lvm.conf?
26
27 Gratefully awaiting any helpful nudge.
30 ¹ https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Preparing_the_LUKS-LVM_Filesystem_and_Boot_USB_Key
31 ² http://www.pavelkogan.com/2014/05/23/luks-full-disk-encryption/
32 --
33 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
34 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
35
36 If everyone cares for himself, everyone is cared for.