From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 07:45:47
1 davecode@××××××××××.net schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We plan to eval Gentoo. We await 2008 final. The comment is, Gentoo
5 > home page gives no clue about status. Convincing people that Gentoo is
6 > "alive" becomes tricky because the final is months late and little
7 > motion on the home page. That's about all most people inspect.
8 >
9 > So bottom line, impressions of Gentoo are going south even before we
10 > test.
11 >
12 > Some sort of "progress bar" or chart showing bugs squashed and new
13 > reported, maybe?? At least some kind of "ticker" showing "expected
14 > final release date"? Counting lines of code or something?
15 >
16 > Personally I don't care when final ships - just knowing "present
17 > expectations" or status with an easy home page glance is all I ask.
18 >
19 > Thanks.
20 >
21 There is no need to wait for any release. You can use what ever
22 environment you want e.g. any live distro, running linux,... to install
23 gentoo. On gentoo there aren't release steps in the way other distros
24 do. So go ahead, boot a livecd get the appropriate stage3 tarball and
25 portage tarball and begin to love gentoo. If you are waiting for the new
26 release of the installer, then I would recommend you to do it better the
27 normal gentoo way as descripted in the handbook
28 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml>.
29
30 cheers
31 justin