From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: guvcview update produces an executable with missing lib...
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:46:31
1 Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 03:55:32 +0200
2 schrieb Meino.Cramer@×××.de:
3
4 > Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> [16-08-30 03:48]:
5 > > On 08/29/2016 11:11 AM, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
6 > > > On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 06:29:50PM +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de
7 > > > wrote
8 > [...]
9 > [...]
10 > [...]
11 > > >
12 > > > The first suggestion in a case like this is to run
13 > > > revdep-rebuild. As a matter of fact, it probably wouldn't hurt
14 > > > to run revdep-rebuild after every update.
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > Yes, I do. Portage occasionally misses a rebuild. It's a lot better
18 > > now at catching them but it still misses them.
22 > > Dan
25 > Ok, we now know that depclean and redep rebuild are needed after each
26 > update. It is someting, which I put together into one script which
27 > I run after each update.
28 >
29 > And we know that portage seems to be guilty. And that it should not be
30 > guilty. And that it does better in this cases.
31 >
32 > One thing remains:
33 > How can I get that guvcview up and running?
34
35 Try "emerge -1a @preserved-rebuild". It should catch preserved libs
36 that revdep-rebuild cannot see at missing but doesn't scan neither
37 because it doesn't consider them as part of the installed files.
38
39 Usually, after rebuilding everything to new metadata, you no longer use
40 revdep-rebuild because the preserved-libs feature renders it mostly
41 useless. Instead, @preserved-rebuild jumps in to rebuild and cleanup.
42
43 You may, however, catch a situation where the configure phase detects
44 the new version of a lib but the linker phase uses the preserved lib of
45 an older version of a dependent package. I'd consider this a bug of the
46 ebuild or the package's build system usually. The way out here is do
47 forcefully uninstall the package with the "broken" preserved lib, then
48 reinstall what is not working.
49
50 It'd try this:
51
52 # Try to unmerge the package that portage thinks the file belongs to:
53 $ emerge -Ca /usr/lib/libgviewv4l2core-1.0.so.1
54 (or whereever this file should be, you can use pfl for finding out)
55
56 # rebuild binary broken packages now (we used -C, not -c)
57 $ revdep-rebuild
58
59 # rebuild packages using preserved libs
60 $ emerge -1a @preserved-rebuild
61
62 # rebuild your package now, it should now link to the correct lib
63 $ emerge -1a guvcview
64
65 If that still doesn't help, try "qcheck -BHTP" to find packages with
66 missing files. Rebuild those:
67
68 $ emerge -1a $(qcheck -BHTP)
69
70 If that also doesn't help, pretend that no dependencies are installed -
71 this may rebuild A LOT of packages:
72
73 $ emerge -1e guvcview
76 Regards,