From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PPPoE ADSL modem choice
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 06:26:23
1 On Monday 22 Jun 2015 02:49:24 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Not long ago I bought an Asus DSL-N14U and I've been impressed by its
5 > abilities, especially since it's quite cheap. One feature I particularly
6 > like is its guest networks (I have a lady of advanced years* next-door),
7 > of which it can establish three. But its logging feature is woefully
8 > limited, whether remote or local: I get lots of empty or incomplete log
9 > entries, which Asus says it can't improve. It has a few other minor bugs
10 > too.
11 >
12 > Does anyone here know of a "professional" version of this modem, or an
13 > equivalent? I mean one that does the whole job, not just what it needs to
14 > do to get past the marketing department**. I'd like proper logs, and finer
15 > control over what traffic is allowed between wired and wireless LANs, and
16 > to/from the WAN of course. Even suitable Google search terms would be
17 > good.
18 ======================================================================
19
20 Have you tried to flush it with tomato, OpenWRT, or equivalent firmware?
21
22 http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69
23
24 Yours is not listed on the suitable hardware list and I wouldn't jump to the
25 conclusion that it is a rebadged Linksys, so you better check with their
26 forums/ML/IRC before you end up bricking it.
30 > PPPoA is not used here in the UK as far as I know.
31
32 PPPoA has been used in ADSL provided by BT local exchanges from the start.
33 Later on BT upgraded their exchanges and PPPoE was made available, but PPPoA
34 was retained for backward compatibility. For some reason AOL required PPPoE
35 instead of PPPoA. PPPoE has a bigger header due to the additional
36 encapsulation of ATM into Ethernet packets, so not as efficient as PPPoA which
37 contains PPP directly within the ATM cells. I believe that FTTC uses IPoE,
38 but I haven't looked into it, because it won't be available where I am for a
39 while yet.
42 For more advance hardware you could look at:
43
44 http://routerboard.com/
45
46 http://www.firebrick.co.uk/products_2500.php
47
48 or even Rasberry Pi2 alternatives, some of which come with two ethernet ports
49 and can be used as routers if you set up your old router as a bridged modem.
52 Regards,
53 Mick