From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] wireless failure after madwifi-ng upgrade
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:13:57
1 Hi, all,
2
3 I have been using wireless successfully for about a month, until I
4 upgraded madwifi-ng last night. Since then wireless has not
5 worked. I have a netgear wireless router which supplies the
6 wireless signal, and the configuration of this router has not
7 changed. And wireless works fine from the same box when I
8 boot Windows. So, the problem seems to be related to the
9 madwifi-ng upgrade.
10
11 No configuration files were changed - at least etc-update didn't
12 report any.
13
14 In /var/log/messages,, I find the following:
15
16 rc-scripts: WEP key is not set for "NETGEAR" - not connecting
17
18 Well... of course it isn't - my router uses WPA encryption,
19 and always has. My /etc/conf.d/net and
20 /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf files are straight from
21 the gentoo handbook:
22
23 /etc/conf.d/net:
24
25 modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
26 wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
27 modules=( "dhcpcd" )
28 config_ath0=( "dhcp" )
29 dhcpcd_ath0="-t 10 -s 192.168.1.101"
30 dhcp_ath0="release nodns nontp nonis"
31 nis_domain_ath-=" mydomain.org"
32
33 /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:
34
35 ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
36 ctrl_interface_group=0
37 ap_scan=1
38 network={
39 ssid="NETGEAR"
40 psk="xxx"
41 priority=5
42 }
45 So, why does the rc-script suddenly think I'm using WEP encryption
46 ?
47
48 Thanks for any and all ideas.
49