From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: libav/ffmpeg's bitrate options have no effect in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:10:21
1 On 09/06/2011 02:48 PM, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
2 > Recently I found that the `-b' and `-ab' options used for setting the
3 > output bitrate in ffmpeg and libav have no effect on my Gentoo machine.
4 > With Ubuntu (and the Medibuntu repository enabled), this does not
5 > happen.
6 >
7 > For example, for any `<bitrate>' I use in
8 > % ffmpeg -ab<bitrate> -i test.ape test.mp3
9 > I get only `test.mp3' in 64kbps bitrate (as default setting). It's
10 > similar as for other audio/video formats and/or the `-b' option.
11 >
12 > My Gentoo system is updated daily with global ~amd64 keyword in use. I
13 > recently switched from ffmpeg to libav and they are both affected by
14 > this issue.
15 >
16 > Is anybody facing the same issue? Has anyone got any idea about the
17 > possible causes and/or solutions? Please tell me if more information is
18 > needed, thanks.
19
20 When running ffmpeg, it says:
21
22 "This program is not developed anymore and is only provided for
23 compatibility. Use avconv instead (see Changelog for the list of
24 incompatible changes)."
25
26 So try with avconv instead. But for MP3, you should probably be using
27 LAME with a VBR quality setting instead.