From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] awk - sed - grep = tying-myself-up-in-knots
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 17:28:39
1 Hi Mick!
2
3 Am Mittwoch, 10. Februar 2016, 17:02:46 CET schrieb Mick:
4 > I've been struggling to parse/split/substitute some names and numbers using
5 > a spreadsheet and think that this task may be easier to achieve using
6 > conventional *nix tools. The problem is I wouldn't know where to start.
7
8 I was taught by other linux users (mostly fanatic KISS people from Archlinux
9 :D) to use as less different tools and therefor dependencies for a script/
10 shell command as possible. In your case, simple bash might be even enough:
11
12 Check the bash man page for "PARAMETER EXPANSION" (these $
13 {foo...somethingspecial} instead of $foo).
14
15 > I have a directory with loads of images. Each image file name has a
16 > description comprising hyphen-separated words and a part number, also hyphen
17 > separated; e.g.:
18
19 > some-description-with-words-012-63099.jpg
20 >
21 > The number and length of the words change for each file. The part number
22 > always has two components separated by a hyphen, but may also change in
23 > length and acquire more/fewer digits.
24 >
25 > I need two outputs:
26 >
27 > 1. the description + " (per M²)", like so:
28 >
29 > some-description-with-words (per M²)
30
31 Just save both informations to one variable, then print/echo the value of
32 these variables (something like "echo $VAR1 $VAR2" or even "echo $VAR1 (per
33 M²)".
34
35 > 2. the part number, but replacing the hyphen with "/", like so:
36 >
37 > 012/63099
38
39 Again, parameter substitution might work. :-)
40
41 > I can list the directory contents and redirect all image file names into a
42 > txt file. What I am looking for is some additional steps I can pipe it
43 > through to obtain the two outputs, either in the same file or different
44 > files. These file(s) are then imported into a spreadsheet template and
45 > manipulated, before the result is ultimately exported from the spreadsheet
46 > and uploaded to a server as a CSV file.
47 >
48 > Is this parsing, splitting and substitution exercise achievable? Any
49 > suggestions to try out?
50 "Everything is possible"™