From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When copying an os to new disk
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:59:39
1 On 02/19/2010 09:34 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I'm currently rsyncing an OS (new gentoo install) from one vmware disk
3 > to a newly created one.
4 >
5 > I know not to copy /proc but not sure about /dev. Looking at an
6 > unbooted OS disk with an install on it... I see /dev/ is populated
7 > (with no boot up), but I recall seeing things during boot like
8 > `populating /dev' (I think).
9 >
10 > So should I copy it over to new disk or not?
11 >
12 > OH, what this is all about is maybe worth mention here for someone
13 > else doing similar.
14 >
15 > I opened a vmware appliance (pre made install of gentoo 1008),
16 > thinking I'd be able to fairly quickly get it up to date.
17 >
18 > The reason I went with the premade appliance is that I've tried
19 > several times to get a vmware gentoo guest going but always have
20 > trouble when booting off the newly built kernel. I've fussed with
21 > that repeatedly and only managed long ago to get one gentoo vmware
22 > guest running. (There was quite a tirade of threads initiated by me
23 > here back then),
24 >
25 > So anyway the appliance turned out to be a real chore to get
26 > updated... Circular dependancies involving different versions of
27 > portage and somekind of api... maybe eapi1 not working with various
28 > pkgs, all in all a big nasty circle jerk... so went ahead and tried
29 > the `from scratch' route.
30 >
31 > And true to form having plenty of trouble getting my kernel to see the
32 > vmware disk I installed on, once I boot off the new kernel.
33 >
34 > I chose to install on a scsi disk as recommended by vmwares' help.
35 >
36 > That, I think is where the rub currently is.
37 >
38 > I noticed the appliance (From bagvapp) was built on an IDE disk, And
39 > its worth noting that even when booting from the appliance,,, that
40 > kernel doesn't see the scsi disk either... (with fdisk).
41 >
42 > So the livecd kernel sees both the appliance IDE disk and the scsi
43 > disk I installed on. That kernel appears to be genkernel built and
44 > uses the initrd approach, so all mod are in play before the actual
45 > kernel starts booting.
46 >
47 > Anyway, cutting to the chase, I added an IDE disk myself and am copying
48 > the OS from the original SCSI to the IDE (I foolishly did quite a bit
49 > of emerging and configuring from the chroot before actually testing if
50 > it would boot so, don't wan't to lose that work and do another fresh
51 > install).
52 >
53 > So, I'm about to find out if any of it is going to work but wondered
54 > about copying /dev/ over.
55 You can copy static /dev - no problem. When udev starts it will just
56 mount its own stuff over the static /dev. You do actually always need
57 some files to boot: at least /dev/null and often also
58 /dev/{tty*,console} and possibly others (depends on your init system).
59 Anyway: copying /dev is a good idea.
60
61 Bye,
62 Daniel
65 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
66 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887