From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another Install Issue
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:18:44
1 On 10/16/11 13:37, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 17:08:45 CJoeB wrote:
3 >> On 10/16/11 11:29, Matthew Finkel wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com
5 >>>
6 >>> <mailto:colleen.beamer@×××××.com>> wrote:
7 >>> > Also: Are the modules actually loaded before you unload them? Use
8 >>> > `modprobe -vr broadcom tg3`. If there is no output, the module
9 >>> > was not loaded.
10 >>>
11 >>> Prior to unloading the modules, output from 'modprobe -vr broadcom
12 >>> tg3' is
13 >>>
14 >>> rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.39-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
15 >>>
16 >>> Hi Colleen,
17 >>>
18 >>> Looks like broadcom isn't loading at boot. Also, I'm not too familiar
19 >>> with broadcom, but why must you load two modules? I found [1] which
20 >>> sound like your problem (possibly the site you mentioned earlier)
21 >>> which references a similar problem when tg3 is loaded before broadcom.
22 >>> You may have already tried this, but have you tested changing the
23 >>> order in /etc/conf.d/modules?
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110026
27 >>>
28 >>> - Matt
29 >> Tried changing the order of module loading. Didn't change anything!
30 >>
31 >> :-( But this was a good idea that I never thought of!
32 > OK, that leaves the other 2 options I suggested in earlier message.
33 >
34 > BTW have you tried the latest stable kernel? It may have been patched by now.
35 My head is starting to spin. I have the latest stable kernel.
36
37 Someone said that since tg3 is not loading at boot then, I shouldn't
38 have to remove it. However, if I just do 'modprobe tg3', ifconfig just
39 returns the lo interface. If I do 'modprobe -r broadcom' 'modprobe
40 broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3', I still only get the lo interface. The
41 only thing that works is removing both modules and adding them again.
42
43 I also tried following the openrc document. The only thing that seems
44 to suggest a solution is to add arguments for my modules. I have no
45 idea what those arguments might be and although I tried googling, I
46 didn't really find anything that would point me in the right direction.
47
48 Colleen
53 Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org