From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:30:04
1 On 2010-11-16, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Again, the defaults are chosen for stability with Gentoo first;
4 > secondly, there are no fixed defaults -- or "out-of-box" configuration
5 > -- from upstream,
6
7 If that's true, then it is the developers rather than "upstream" that
8 decided to use HAL for Xorg configuration.
9
10 You can't have it both ways:
11
12 1) There is no default configuration from upstream.
13
14 2) The default configuration (use HAL) came from upstream.
15
16 > The only distributions that have fixed configurations are the binary
17 > ones. Any package that is built from source -- and under Gentoo that
18 > means almost everything -- is intrinsically configurable by the
19 > person building the binaries. To extend your "out-of-box" analogy:
20 > source code doesn't arrive in a box, but binaries (.rpm, .deb, etc.)
21 > do.
22
23 It seems to me that the "configure" script with no command-line
24 options to enable/disable features is a "box" that contains the
25 default configuration.
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm not an Iranian!!
29 at I voted for Dianne
30 gmail.com Feinstein!!