From: "wdk@.moriah" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 03:20:53
1 On 02/02/2012, at 11:02, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Feb 01 2012, billk@×××××××××.au wrote:
7 >> On 02/02/2012, at 9:08, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> I have a linksys wrt54G that is acting a little funny.
10 >>>
11 >>> Since my new laptop supports 1Gig wired ethernet and the wrt is 100Meg,
12 >>> I should upgrade even if the "funny" turns out to be just a config error
13 >>> on my laptop.
14 >>>
15 >>> This is a home system.
16 >>>
17 >>> My requirements are modest.
18 >>>
19 >>> 1. >= 4 wired ethernet ports for systems/devices (at least 1 port 1Gig)
20 >>> 2. Wireless access point 802.11 b/g (n would be nice; a ok)
21 >>> 3. dhcp (with settable addresses see below*)
22 >>> 4. Availability in U.S.
23 >>>
24 >>> * I am actually running the so-called "tomato firmware". The std
25 >>> firmware did not let me set specific dhcp addresses for specific
26 >>> sources. This is important to me. My laptop is 192.168.1.70, one
27 >>> printer is .50, the other .55, two other laptops are .72, and .75.,
28 >>> Hence an /etc/hosts file lets each machine access the others by name
29 >>>
30 >>> My isp cablevision/optonline provides a modem with a wired ethernet
31 >>> port. The router/wap should have an ethernet port (beyond the 4 above)
32 >>> to accept the modem output (I realize it is all bidirectional).
33 >>>
34 >>> Suggestions?
35 >>>
36 >>> thanks,
37 >>> allan gottlieb
38 >>>
39 >> You can expect best case of 50% thru put for wifi (I.e., 50Mbs), and usually much less. Think overhead for encryption, error recovery, and speed reduction for distance. Add to that most wifi speeds on the box come from the marketing department ...
40 >>
41 >> Then, if you are in a crowded (rf wise) environment, have an old 802.11b (10Mb) device in range and the antennas are more than few meters apart, someone is cooking dinner in the microwave, ...
42 >>
43 >> Wired or wireless ... No contest!
44 >>
45 >> W.Kenworthy
46 >
47 > I am asking for a recommendation of a router/wap. I know the
48 > wired/wireless tradeoffs.
49 >
50 > thanks,
51 > allan
54 Sorry, read it as wired or wireless.
55
56 Check out the buffalo routers -I have a G300NH which while it has a few early reports of bad wifi, it's been faultless for me. After a couple of months I changed the custom ddwrt firmware for real ddwrt (basically because I could!) and it's always been problem free.
57
58 My limited experience with 1G has been mixed - usually don't notice much of a difference though its occasionally wow! - mostly cisco devices though.
59
60 Billk