From: Mikko Ruuska <mikko.ruuska@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome-terminal
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:30:30
1 On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Bruno Lustosa wrote:
2
3 > I noticed that after the last upgrade to gnome-terminal, my TERM
4 > variable is set to 'gnome'.
5 ...
6 > I think that's because the remote machines do not understand this kind
7 > of terminal, and so fall back to 'dumb' or something like that.
8 > What's the problem with leaving TERM=xterm when under gnome-terminal?
9 ...
10 > Isn't this a fine standard for all X terminals? Is there a
11 > gnome-terminal configuration somewhere that lets me set the TERM that
12 > I want? I'll have a look at gconf.
13
14 gnome-terminal is actually doing things correctly at last. Only xterm
15 should use TERM=xterm. (except if your NOT-xterm terminal supports
16 _everything_ that xterm supports. And pretty much no one does. xterm
17 is probably the most capable terminal and definitely not a least
18 common denominator.)
19
20 Sure it causes problems as most machines don't have proper settings
21 for all possible terminals, but that is a bug on that system. You can
22 add the settings yourself (in your home directory). Happily, I can't
23 remember _how_ you did this. ;-) I read a good document on this issue
24 somewhere but can't seem to locate it. Very likely a pointer to it is
25 somewheres in this list's archives.
26
27 Mikko
30 Mikko Ruuska, R & D