From: Jason Lixfeld <jason+lists.gentoo@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] FreeBSD equivalent features?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 19:18:13
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm new to Gentoo. I come from FreeBSD. I have to run Gentoo in
4 this particular case because I need an asterisk box and asterisk runs
5 better on Linux than FreeBSD.
6
7 That being said, I must say that I am very impressed with Gentoo.
8 It's far superior to RedHat, which was the last Linux experience I had.
9
10 What I'm looking for is freebsd equivalent features in Gentoo. There
11 are three that I'm really looking for:
12
13 1) periodic(8) -- run periodic system functions. runs daily, weekly,
14 monthly and security scripts. These scripts do everything from check
15 rejected emails to backing up the passwd file. It's also got a local
16 facility where I can put my own scripts in. It's run out of cron and
17 emails the output of the periodic output nice and clean. I
18 understand that I can manually manufacture the equivalent scripts,
19 but I was hoping there was something similar out there.
20
21 2) pkg_version -- summarize installed versions of packages. Outputs
22 what newer ports are available to what versions are actually
23 installed. I've looked through the emerge and ebuild docs, but I
24 can't find anything that operates the same way.
25
26 3) portaudit(1) -- system to check installed packages for known
27 vulnerabilities.
28
29 Anyone know of any Gentoo equivalents and if not, what might be
30 decent workarounds?
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list