From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do subslots improve user-experience?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:27:12
1 On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:04:52 +0100, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > * how often do you experience useless rebuilds?
4
5 That's an unreasonable question. How do we know whether a rebuild was
6 useless or not unless we skip it and then find that a single feature of a
7 complex program no longer works properly, and to do that we have to block
8 the update from emerge world.
9
10 Yes, there are a lot more updates and rebuilds, but are these useless? I
11 have no facts to device either way.
12
13 > * do you really have a problem with running
14 > revdep-rebuild/haskell-updater/perl-cleaner etc after every emerge?
15
16 No. The only problem with those approaches is knowing when they need to be
17 run. That's what I like about the preserved-rebuild approach, it tells
18 you that rebuilds need to be done but lets the user device when to do
19 them.
20
21 > * do you think it's worth the effort to add more stuff
22 > to the PM, so that you don't have to run revdep-rebuild that often?
23
24 If it's done in a way that is understandable to users. Gentoo users like,
25 even need, to understand what is going on. Sub-slots don't achieve that.
26
27 > * do you trust the other methods like subslots or preserved-rebuild to
28 > work reliably? (as in: do you still use revdep-rebuild?)
29
30 I trust preserved-rebuild. I have a weekly cron script that checks
31 various aspects of my system, including a revdep-rebuild -p. That part
32 almost never finds anything these days.
33
34 Sub-slots appear to work, but they are opaque and intrusive.
35 @preserved-rebuild requires a tiny amount more effort from the user, but
36 gives more control and seems more Gentoo-ish to me.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 Q: Why is top-posting evil?
43 A: backwards read don't humans because