From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Now it's AMD's turn ...
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 00:19:34
1 On Sunday, 8 March 2020 19:04:02 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Rudi <rudi@×××××.net> wrote:
3 > > While I usually side with AMD for their contributions to the Open
4 > > Sourced community, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even
5 > > though they're funded by Intel the fact that they've been keeping the
6 > > specifics quiet proves that they're trying to help rather than smear
7 > > the name of AMD.
8 >
9 > IMO all responsible disclosure only makes everybody safer, so if Intel
10 > wants to fund making my AMD CPUs safer, I'm all for that. If these
11 > researchers can find a flaw and report it, somebody else could find it
12 > and not report it.
13
14 Quite! Early disclosure and more importantly a quick mitigation to discovered
15 vulnerabilities is what is desired/required. Spats between the marketing
16 departments of the oligopoly of hardware manufacturers is of little interest
17 to me.
20 > > Hopefully this doesn't cause as much of a recoil as the Spectre/Meltdown
21 > > mitigations. What % of performance was lost for those? 20?
22 > That's the key. While vulnerabilities should be avoided as much as
23 > possible, the fact is that almost all software and hardware ends up
24 > having them. The real issues are:
25 >
26 > 1. Does the vendor provide a mitigation in a timely manner?
27 > 2. Is the mitigation free (ie software/etc)?
28 > 3. Does the mitigation have any kind of long-term negative impact?
29
30 It would also be nice if said vendor(s) are not imposing a lack of patches and
31 microcode to force users in early obsolescence of their kit, just to boost
32 their profits.
35 > With meltdown the issue was #3. Right now we don't have any
36 > mitigation, though I can't really speak to how fast is fast enough.
37 > Now that this is disclosed they should push to get this fixed ASAP.
38
39 Thankfully AMDs are not affected by meltdown. :-)
40
41 Anyhow, AMD have issued a disclaimer saying this recently published 'Take A
42 Way' vulnerabilities "are not new speculation-based attacks ..."
43
44 https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/product-security