From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something weird and I'm confused. BIOS and SATA is empty
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 14:47:12
1 On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > When I did my ls on
4 > /boot, the kernels were symlinks to the kernel sources on /usr which is not
5 > mounted yet.
6 <SNIP>
7
8 Why in the world would a kernel on /boot _ever_ be a symlink? That's
9 just not right for guys like you and me Dale!
12 > I reboot and the BIOS shows my drives not as SATA but as IDE.  However, I
13 > edit the grub kernel line to point to a good kernel and it boots.  I'm
14 > actually typing in it now.
17 So this is good. Glad you got that far.
18
19 > My questions you ask?  Why is the BIOS not seeing the drives correctly?  The
20 > main BIOS screen sees nothing and it used to print them on the screen,
21 > including the DVD burner.  They do show up on the second screen where AHCI
22 > detects drives.
23
24 IF by the 'first screen' you mean what you see when booting up then it
25 may or may not be a problem. I suspect your BIOS settings got
26 scrambled a bit. With my Asus MB there is an option to tell it to show
27 the drives on the first screen or not. If BIOS gets set back to
28 default then I don't see them. I then go in, set the option, and then
29 I do see them.
30
31 On this Asus machine I have two BIOS'es. When I do updates, if the
32 update doesn't go well, then the machine automatically drops back to
33 BIOS #2 which is (hopefully) unchanged. This is safe, but can at times
34 get a little confusing. Possibly your machine has something similar
35 and you're now using the second BIOS?
38 Good luck!!!
39
40 Cheers,
41 Mark